1. T: When is my birthday? My birthday is on May 2nd. When is your birthday? This class, we’ll learn how to express dates.
(Show the pictures of the twelve months on the screen, or show a big calendar to the Ss. Learn the names of the twelve months: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December )
2. Work on 1a. Play the recording for the Ss to listen and repeat the new words. Ss read the new words and try to remember them.
one ______ two ________ three _________ five ________ eight _______ nine __________ twelve _______ fifteen _______ eighteen ________ twenty __________ twenty-one _______________ twenty-two ______________
4. Check the answers.
1. Now let’s work on 3a. Read the questions and answers then match the questions and answers.
2. Review the cardinal numbers together. Count from first to thirty-first.
3. Play a date game:
T: Your partner says a date in Chinese, you say the date in English quickly. e.g.
S1: 11月7日 S2：November seventh; 12月9日
S1: December ninth; 8月30日； S2: August thirtieth; 10月3日
S1: October, third
4. Report some of your family members’ birthdays.
S1: My birthday is on January 10th. My father’s birthday is on July 23rd. My mother’s birthday is on June 7th. My grandfather’s birthday is on…
1. (Show some school activities on the screen. Teach Ss the school activities)
basketball game, soccer game, volleyball game, English test, school trip, School Day, English Day, Sports Day, book sale, art festival, party
2. Ss read and try to remember the activities.
3. Look at the activities 1a. Then look at the pictures below. Match the pictures with the events.
4. Ss work on 1a. Then check the answers.
1. John and Sally are talking about his calendar. Listen to the recording and circle the events you hear in 1a.
(Play the recording for the first time, Ss only listen. Play the recording again. Ss listen and circle the events they hear in 1a.)
2. Check the answers. Let some Ss read the answers.
3. This time let’s listen and fill in John’s calendar. Write the proper activity in the right date chart.
(Ss listen and write the proper activity in the right date chart.)
4. Play the recording again for the Ss listen and check the answers.
Ⅳ. Pair work
1. Look at the John’s calendar. Ask and answer questions about it with your partner.
S1: When is Sally’s birthday party?
S2: It’s on October 5th.
S1: When is the basketball game?
S2: It’s October 2nd.
S1: When is …
2. Then exchange roles. S2 ask S1 about John’s calendar again.
Ⅴ. Pair work
1. Look at the activities in 2a. First, let some Ss read aloud. Make sure they know the meaning of every activity.
2. Suppose you are a new student here. Ask your partner about these activities likes this?
S1: Do we have a soccer game?
S2: Yes, we do.
S1: When is the soccer game?
S2: It’s on October 11th. / I don’t know.
S1: Do we have a school trip?
S2: No, we don’t.
2. Check (√) the activities you have at your school and write down the dates behind the activities.
3. Then it’s your partner’s turn to ask you questions. (You must answer the questions according to your partner’s answers.)
S2: Do we have a soccer game?
S1: Yes, we do.
S2: When is it?
S1: It’s on October 11th.
S2: Do we have a school trip?
S1: No, we don’t.
T: Look at 2b. This is a school notice of our school. It tells you about the main events in this term.
Now scanning the notice and find the answer to this question:
Is this a busy term?
(Ss read the notice and find the answer to the questions. Let some Ss say their answers to this question.)
2. Careful reading
T: Read the notice carefully and find the activities they have this term. Then list the activities and the dates.
该文是按时间顺序，列举了学校一学期的大事活动安排。读短文前浏览表格，由Dates和Activities两词可知，该文的任务是找出活动及举行日期。然后，带着任务快速阅读短文，用下画线画出活动时间，再圈出此活动。如该句 “Next month, we have an art festival. It’s on November 3rd.”在November 3rd这天，举行的活动是art festival。最后，按时间的先后顺序，将日期与活动一一列出。
4. Ss read the notice and list the dates and activities in the chart.
5. Check the answers with the class.
1. T: Well, S1, do you like school trip?
S1: Yes, I do.
T: Do you like soccer game?
S1: No, I don’t.
T: What other activities in 2b do you like?
S1: Well, I like School Day and art festival.
2. OK. Now discuss the questions with your partner.
1) What activities from 2b do you like?
2) What other activities do you like?
Write down your likes and dislikes on your workbook. I’ll let you report it to the class.
You can report like this:
I like… I don’t like…
3. Ss discuss with his or her partner and write down their likes and dislikes. Then try to make a report.
4. Let some Ss report their result to the class. e.g.
I like soccer game, school trip, book sale. And I like English day, Sports Day, too.
4. Ss read and fill in the note. Then check the answers.
5. Let Ss try to remember the note and retell it to the class.
1. T: Our school has an English party next week. It’s on November 12th. Can you write your friend to our school English party? First answer my questions to help you.
① What is your friend’s name?
S1: My friend’s name is Xiao Fang.
② What does she like to do?
S1: She likes English.
③ What activity do you have in your school?
S1: We have an English party.
④ When is the party?
S1: It’s on November 12th.
2. T: Well, write a note with the help of the answers above.
Dear Xiao Fang,
Do you like English? Please come to our school next week. We have an English party. It’s on November 12th. See you there!
3. T: Very good. Now, please answer the questions in the c hart first. Then with the help of the answers, write your own note to a friend. Invite him/her to an activity in your school.
(Ss write a note by themselves. Then exchange their notes with their partners. Check each other’s notes.)
4. Let some Ss read their notes to the class.
Ⅳ. Self Check 1
1. T: Now let’s review the cardinal numbers and ordinal numbers. First, let’s recite them. Your partner recites the ordinal numbers, you recite the cardinal numbers. Then you recite the ordinal numbers, your partner recites the cardinal numbers. (Ss do as the teacher asks.)
2. T: Now look at Self check 1. Complete the chart with the correct forms of the numbers.
3. Check the answers with the class.
Ⅴ. Self Check 2
1. (Show some pictures of holidays on the screen.)
T: We have many holidays in China. For example:
Picture 1: Children’s Day
T: Picture 2: National Day
（Show other pictures, let Ss know Women’s Day, New Year’s Day, Labors’ Day, Teachers’ Day…）
2. Ask the dates about the holidays.
T: When is Children’s Day?
S1: It’s on June 1st.
T: When is National Day?
S2: It’s on October 1st.
T: Now let’s look at Self Check 2. Write the dates for these holidays in China.
3. Check the answers with the Ss.
T: What other holidays in China or in other foreign countries you know. First, list the holidays you know. Then ask and answer the dates about them with your partner.